Parents for Community Living welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
DIRECT SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL – ASSISTANT SUPPORT PROVIDER
Job Description/Hours of Position (s)
Assistant support providers provide support and services to adults and children with developmental disabilities to assist them in participating in the community, learn social and employment skills and provide support with daily living activities. You would be working in residential settings supporting people to live and participate in their community. Part time hours on weekends, weekdays and overnights available. Some full time opportunities may be available as of December 2018.
Starting Salary: 17.80/ hour
- D.S.W., B.A. in related field, CYW, SSW or proven equivalence by an accredited College or University. Or current enrollment in such programs.
- Current First Aid and CPR, CPI, Valid G class driver’s license.
- Experience in supporting individuals with developmental disabilities, behavioural challenges, and/or other disabilities
- Experience in providing personal care
- Experience working with families in delivery of supports
- Experience in administering and managing medications
- Demonstrated experience in utilizing CPI techniques
Ability, Skill and Knowledge:
- demonstrated ability to plan activities that reflect individual interests
- ability to support a number of people with different needs at any given time
- Knowledge of employee responsibilities in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Proven ability to present an image of professionalism and have a positive impact while promoting an environment of quality customer service.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
Personal Suitabilities: (Core Competencies)
- Creative Problem solving and decision making. Uses logic and common sense to solve problems
- Initiative – a self-starter who takes appropriate action
- Adaptability/Flexibility – maintains effectiveness in varying environments
- Teamwork/Communication – works respectfully and effectively as a member of a group.
- Collaboration – collaborates with others to make decisions or plans
- Advocates for others when they can’t advocate for themselves.
Experience or training in Lifts and transfers, managing challenging behaviours and or communication techniques would be considered an asset.
Parents for Community Living is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection and appointment processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to this process, please inform the organizations representative of your need for accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.
Parents for Community Living is committed to building a diverse workforce reflective of Canadian society. As a result, it promotes employment equity and encourages women, Aboriginal persons, persons with a disability and members of visible minority groups to apply.
To apply please forward you cover letter and resume to:
Brenda Van Houtven, Services Director Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
C/O PCL’ s main office fax (519) 742 – 1060